Friday, March 11, 2011

100mm 2.8 Macro, You're Outta My League

My lovely sister, in her work gear. 


I actually know next to nothing about cameras. I mean,  I love photography but have pretty much no working technical knowledge about it. I bought a Digital SLR a few years ago, hoping that if I put a good camera on auto, I would somehow come out with fantastic pictures. Well, I have learned a few things since then – like that the auto feature is not a professional photographer.

Currently, I am shopping for a new lens (thanks to my lucky Amazon winnings) and have rented 3 this weekend to try out. I'm going to try one each day and hopefully by Monday I will have made a choice. 

Today, it's the 100mm 2.8 Macro. I really have no business touching the same camera that this lens is on. It is the most fancy pants lens I’m trying out and while it’s not the caviar of lenses by any means, it's a nice leans. Maybe equivalent to a nice local organic salad with goat cheese medallions. My kit lens is a lettuce salad from the bag. Just for a random food analogy. 

The pictures the lens took are beautiful. Clear and crisp and the macro feature is really nice. I could see using it a lot in the spring/summer when the kids are outside and I want to get good close ups without getting right next to their faces. The thing is, this lens has a few other features that I really don't know how to use, and what I mainly want is something to take pictures inside the house with when the light is bad in the winter. The 100 mm is a bit much for taking pictures inside a tiny house. Plus the lens itself is pretty big and heavy. So, while I would love to have something like this someday, today is not that day. 




No comments:

Post a Comment