Sunday, April 8, 2012

Easter Day


Peter worked today and it's the tail end of tax season so my parents weren't fully available to help out so the kids had me for Easter, in all my flu-ridden glory. I am much better but SO tired. Tired like I can't make it through the day without a nap tired.

This morning the kids woke up to clues from the Easter bunny and raced around the house solving riddles and finding their (somewhat meager) hidden baskets. They opened their presents from us and I mustered the strength to make scrambled eggs and blueberry muffins for breakfast. I had asked Peter to get a muffin mix from the store last night but unfortunately he was at our local health food store and the muffins looked, well, very healthy. All whole wheat flour with flax mixed in. And that's probably fine, but I'm not sure the kids would have looked at it like they were getting a "special" Easter breakfast. So I pulled out my easiest muffin recipe and made them from scratch.

My parents came over for an early lunch and brought their presents for the kids. They offered to take us to a restaurant but I'm not feeling up to that yet so they took the kids to our local fast food place to get lunch and brought it back to the house. Yes, we had Burgerville for our Easter lunch.  While they were gone I hid eggs in the yard and after lunch the kids hunted for them. After my parents left, I opened the back door as the day was warm and sunny, and the kids played outside while I read and dozed on the couch. (This seems neglectful but we have a fully fenced yard, a dog, I could see outside, I know Miss E would never go out of the yard nor let Mr. T do it and, since there are two of them, if someone got hurt the other could come get me).

In the late afternoon I was sitting on the couch, thinking about the box of mac and cheese I was going to make for dinner and feeling guilty about what a lame Easter this was. There were no family meals, massive egg hunts, delicious food or fancy Easter clothes. It was just me and the kids and a lazy Sunday afternoon. While I was mulling this over, Miss E looked up from what she was doing and said "this has been the best Easter ever. Thanks Mommy".  It was just the sweetest thing and no, of course it wasn't the best Easter ever, but for a 7 year old? Well, she got blueberry muffins and bunny clues and a full basket and presents to open and burgers for lunch with her Nana and Grandpa and chocolate bunnies to eat and eggs to hunt and time to play in her sunny yard with her brother. So yeah, it was pretty good. It just goes to remind me that good enough really is good enough.

1 comment:

  1. It is hard not to let the perfect get in the way of the good. Happy Spring Scriberson Family.

    ReplyDelete