Thursday, November 25, 2010

Thanksgiving


Thanksgiving. This year was a bit different for me. The last few years have been a struggle for us, and we have come closer than ever to losing things that are important to us - our house, our marriage. It's been rough. Last Thanksgiving as we all went around the table saying what we were thankful for, all I could say was that I was thankful we were still holding on. And truly, aside from being thankful for the health of our children and ourselves, and a roof (tenuous or not) over our head and food on our table, that was it. I think nobody outside of Peter and I knows how hard, how long and how ongoing this struggle has been.

This year, I am thankful for the struggle. It is through the struggle that we are truly learning to value things in our lives. And by things, I don't mean stuff. I mean, each other, a home, financial security, food, health and love. The struggle has taught me a lot and is second only to the birth of my children of events in my life that have made me have to grow up and be more responsible.  I am learning, ever learning, how to appreciate the blessings that we have.

Overwhelmingly I am also thankful for the health of our children, ourselves and our family. Our children are funny, bright, loving and engaging and we are lucky to be their parents. I am also looking forward to another year of growth and have all the faith in the world that things will continue to improve.

1 comment:

  1. Now THAT'S a thanksgiving picture and thoughts from the heart! Well taken and well put---ohhhh, if it weren't for the blessings... I know. I really know...

    ReplyDelete