Wednesday, March 30, 2011

New camera lens and RAIN AGAIN.



Not that I'm complaining about the weather but it is freezing cold and raining today.

Those who are not interested in a play-by-play account of how I got my new lens should just quit reading here: I got my new lens.

In other news, the new camera lens is here! Remember a few weeks ago when I rented those lenses to try out? And I decided on the 50mm 1.4? Well, as soon as I decided to buy it, the price went up about a hundred bucks on Amazon. And stayed there for the next week. After doing a little research, I learned that there are 5 Canon production plants in Northern Japan - you see where I'm going with this? One of them is about 5 miles from the now infamous nuclear reactor that is scaring the bejebus out of all of us. So, earthquake hit, plants halt production, lens price goes up. Make sense? (Note: I am not in any way making light of the disaster in Japan because it slightly impeded my purchase of a camera lens. )

So after much searching and researching (cause that's what I do...) it came down to purchase the lens now, for the original price from a local store, or wait until Christmas time (when lens prices are supposed to go back down) to buy it. Oh there was much nashing of teeth about this one. On one hand, I had a credit at Amazon that I won, but I would have to pay 100 bucks more for the lens and most stores supplying it were out of stock, making the chances of  actually getting one a bit slim. On the other hand if I bought it locally I would have to pay for it but I would still get the original price. I sat on that for a few days and then 2 miraculous thing happened - my ipod broke and I got my check from work.

Can I insert a note here: boo on my ipod breaking. 1 year and 3 months after buying it, the thing is completely broken and out of warranty. Stupid Apple and their expensive, alluring, desirable and breakable products.

I figured I would use my Amazon money for the replacement ipod and get the lens today. So I DID! I could not be happier. I can't wait to take it to Spain and so far I love love love it.

Sorry for the long purchasing post but Peter has had to listen to my agonizing for 2+ weeks now and has been VERY gracious in offering advice and letting me stress about something as fluffy as buying an expensive piece of electronic equipment. Thanks honey for not being as annoyed with me as I probably would have been with you. (Isn't that the honest truth about marriage?) You can talk about bikes all you want to me and I will listen nicely.

No comments:

Post a Comment