Friday, April 1, 2011

Mr. T's toes


For awhile now, I have been noticing that 2 of Mr. T's toes are growing over each other. It kind of looks like he is crossing them and they are slightly curved toward each other. Lately his skin has gotten little rub spots around those toes as well.  Peter didn't think anything was wrong (note: firefighters never think something is wrong unless you are in danger of imminent death. It took me awhile after we had kids to realize  that my definition of "wrong" was VERY different than his), but agreed to take  him to the podiatrist the next time he went. Sort of a father/son thing.

Their appointment was this morning and I met them for coffee and bagels when it was over. As soon as I walked into the bagel shop Mr. T very excitedly held up x-rays of his feet and loudly said "look mommy, these are pictures of my feet! Those are my bones! The camera could see THROUGH my foot!". As soon as I heard that my heart sunk a bit. Because, Dr.'s don't take x-rays on a 4 year old for nothing, right? But I put a smile on my face and let him show me the x-rays and tell me all about his appointment and how nice the Dr. was and then tell me again about the magic camera that took pictures of his bones. After that Peter told me that indeed, his toes are growing crooked but right now we are going to wait and see if they correct themselves. If they don't then we try spacer-thingies and if that doesn't work then surgery. In short, it probably will be fine but I hate to have something to watch and monitor. I want my babies to be perfect. But then I think of all those parents who have children who are suffering from real problems and real issues and have real health worries and then I go to Peter's side of thinking about the toes, and realize that he will be (as Mr. T said himself) "just fine".

1 comment:

  1. "firefighters never think something is wrong unless you are in danger of imminent death. It took me awhile after we had kids to realize that my definition of "wrong" was VERY different than his"

    OMG, true.

    Hope your little one will be just fine!

    ReplyDelete