Tuesday, August 16, 2011

A weekend away

We started a tradition a few years ago, well, I started a tradition, that Peter and I would leave the kids with my parents for 3 days each summer and get away by ourselves. 3 days doesn't sound like a long time but it's about as long as my parents are comfortable having the kids and enough time that Peter and I can really have a break together. I have not yet asked my mom about making this a "tradition".

This year we headed up to Seattle to stay with a friend for one night and then spent one night at home. It was lovely all around. Oddly enough, the Seattle part of our trip felt a lot like our Spain vacation. Lots of walking, very little to no food and being lost. It was fun though and I learned that I can go longer without food than my dear husband. So, there's that.

We walked. We saw Pike's market, Olympic Sculpture park, took a ferry ride and walked some more.

Here's what we didn't do: fight, anything really romantic, or become annoyed with each other. It just felt...good. Content. As always, it was good to see our friend (is there another word for friends you love like family? Framily? ) and just be without three people talking to me at the same time. And the sleeping in. And the restaurants.

It was nice.

 After our first lunch place failed, we just stopped by Pike brewing to eat.

 And try a sample tray.


At the sculpture park we saw two wedding parties getting their pictures taken. What a gorgeous place for wedding photos. I resisted the urge to laugh and point at the bride and groom and wish them luck in a sarcastic tone of voice. Did I mention that the voice in my head is INCREDIBLY sarcastic? It comes out more often when the kids aren't around.

 I am incredibly uncomfortable being in front of the camera AND Peter still cannot really figure out my new lens so there are not often pictures of me. This was on the ferry.

 The lovely Seattle skyline. Someday I want to go up in the Space Needle. I think I was a teenager the last time I did that.

 Peter on the ferry.

This is an awesome and crazy huge sculpture in front of the Art Museum. Next trip I want to go in, maybe with Miss E. We are definitely going to take the kids up there soon, there is so much they would both love! I guess we did miss them a little bit.

This last part of August has felt like a blessing of summer. The weekend without kids, drinks and movie with a friend, a camping trip, visiting family, a vacation surprise that I have planned for our family, my nieces birthday, plans for my mom's birthday. It's going to be full going into the start of school and I am so excited.

3 comments:

  1. all sounds wonderful and I'm really happy for you! That's a tradition I hope you keep up for the next 40 years--it's a good one...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look SO glamorous in that picture on the ferry! The trench-style coat, the wind-blown hair, everything.

    ReplyDelete