Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Drop Off


Because our elementary school's parking lot is small, they encourage car-line drop off in the mornings. We have not done it thus far since Miss E has preferred to have us walk her to her classroom and at the beginning of the year I definitely felt more comfortable taking her to directly to her classroom. But as the year has gone on, and we all get more comfortable with things, I have been ready for her to try. Last week, she was ready as well. One day, out of the blue, she asked to do drop off. I said OK, and made sure we got there at the right time. The kids aren't allowed into the school until 10 or 15 minutes before first bell so the result is a huge crowd of kids including sometimes pushy 5th and 6th graders. She has no interest in being part of that, so we got there just after they let all the kids in.

I just pulled up and she hopped out. Just like that. It was the strangest thing to see her head into school by herself. Mr. T and I watched her go in the front door and the kindergarten classroom is about 3 doors down the hall as soon as you go in. But there she was, heading in all alone for the first time ever. I feel like this kindergarten year has been a HUGE year of letting go for me. More so than any other year of her life. Preschool didn't even feel like this much letting go. I won't lie, it hasn't always been easy but this, feels a little good. She is growing bigger and more confident and more independent, and that's what is supposed to happen, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment